Ellesmere is a quiet market town, dating from Saxon times, and known as the lake district of Shropshire, with glacial meres adjoining rural canals. We are on the Welsh/Shropshire border – just 2 miles from North Wales and 5 miles from Cheshire – about an hour from Liverpool, Manchester and the north-side of Birmingham. In the locality, there are plenty of tourist attractions such as castles, National Trust properties, steam railways & abundant bird-life. The historic cities of Chester and Shrewsbury are nearby.
Ellesmere is well-provided with shops, pubs and parking and hosts many popular events each year.
Whilst staying in Ellesmere you may just wish to enjoy the peaceful atmosphere of Birch Hill, but you may also like to visit the following local places of interest in Shropshire, Cheshire and Wales.
|National Trust / Historic Houses / Museums||Shrewsbury Castle museum||Chirk Castle (NT)||Erddig (NT) Wrexham||Sunnycroft (NT) Telford||Benthall Hall (NT)||Powis Castle & gardens (NT)||Attingham Park (NT)|
|Child-friendly||Park Hall Farm Countryside Experience (incl Welsh Guards army museum). 10-pin Bowling||Techniquest science discovery centre or Cinema – both in Wrexham||Blists Hill Victorian Town or Enginuity – both at Ironbridge||Acton Scott Historic Working Farm, Church Stretton SY6 6QN||British Ironwork Centre , Oswestry SY11 4JH (good for adults too)||Hack Green Secret Nuclear Bunker , French Lane, Nantwich CW5 8AP||Llangollen – steam railway & horse-drawn canal trip|
|Towns (market days)||Oswestry Shrewsbury||Shrewsbury & Chirk Airfield car boot sale||Wrexham||Ellesmere (morning). Shrewsbury||Oswestry. Shrewsbury (river boat trip)||Wem||Oswestry Shrewsbury Whitchurch|
|Walks||Welshampton circuit - start at Ellesmere Mere||Chirk Castle start by CAMC site entrance||Canal towpath – Llangollen Canal||Colemere circuit||Oswestry Hill Fort||Alderford Lake||Canal Central Maesbury Marsh|
|Eating-out (all have dog-friendly areas)||Boathouse, Ellesmere||Royal Oak, Bangor on Dee||Red Lion, Ellesmere||Dickin Arms, Loppington||Mad Jacks or Narrow Boat||Sun Inn, Welshampton||Cross Foxes, Erbistock|
|Dog-Friendly Days Out||Hawkstone Park Follies||Llangollen – railway & canal trip||Blists Hill Victorian Town, Ironbridge||Alderford Lake||Colemere||Rodney’s Pillar, Breidden Hills||Oswestry Hill Fort or Old Racecourse|
|Gardens||Dorothy Clive Garden in Clive Market Drayton||Hodnet Hall Gardens, Hodnet, Market Drayton, TF9 3NN||Bodnant Cardens, Colwyn Bay||Dingle @ The Quarry Shrewsbury||Ness Gardens Neston Road, Little Neston, Ness, CH64 4AY||Biddulph Grange, Staffordshire||Wollerton Old Hall Garden Market Drayton|
|Garden Centres||Derwen Garden Centre (have lunch at The Orangery)||Moreton Garden Centre Gledrid||Bellis’ – Holt, Wrexham||Country Garden Rose Plant Centre, Hadnall Shrewsbury SY4 3DH||Grosvenor Garden Centre Near Chester||Coed y Dinas Welshpool||Dobbie’s Garden World Shrewsbury|
|Ancient monuments||Haughmond Abbey (EH)||Lilleshall Abbey (EH)||Stokesay Castle (EH) Craven Arms||Valle Crucis (Cadw) Llangollen||Beeston Castle (EH)||Rodney’s Pillar, Breidden Hills||Chester Walls|
Golf Courses. There are eight golf clubs and nine 18-hole golf courses within 16 miles of Birch Hill – see our website for details – https://www.birchhill.co.uk/local-information/golf-courses-near-ellesmere-shropshire/
Cycle Hire. A local firm has bicycles for hire and will deliver to / collect from Birch Hill. Electric-assisted bikes also available – http://www.amerecycle.co.uk/
- Shrewsbury boasts the largest number of independent retailers in the UK (as opposed to large chain-stores) – about 18 miles by road.
- Chester is well worth a trip – about 25 miles from Birch Hill.
- Also consider a trip to Cheshire Oaks designer outlet – https://www.mcarthurglen.com/uk/cheshire-oaks-designer-outlet/en/
Seaside. Welsh coast – Rhyl, Prestatyn and Llandudno are just over an hour. Prestatyn is quieter than Rhyl. Llandudno is more refined.
Mountains. We are about 1¼ hrs from Betws-y-Coed in the heart of Snowdonia – the highest mountains in Wales.
- Theatre Severn, Shrewsbury – 18 miles by road
- Theatre Clwyd, Mold – 25 miles by road.
- Theatre Hafren, Newtown – 39 miles by road.
- Liverpool – several theatres – just over an hour by road
- Manchester – several theatres – about 1 hr 20 minutes by road
- Odeon, Wrexham – 11 miles by road
- Cineworld, Shrewsbury – 20 miles by road
- Ellesmere Town Hall ‘Reels on Wheels’ – last Wednesday of each month
- Wem Town Hall – http://www.wemtownhall.co.uk/ – 10 miles by road
- Plas Madoc – great for families – easy slope into the water, wave machine and water-slide.
- Wrexham – traditional rectangular pool, plus Jacuzzi, large whirlpool and rubber-ring water-slide.
- Shrewsbury – very deep pool with diving boards and long water-slide